Solid State Pharma Inc. is a leader in the delivery of crystallization engineering services including screening and selection of polymorphs, co-crystals, salts, and crystallization process development and optimization. SPPI has experienced great success with the workflows that have been developed by combining fundamentals of crystallization and solid form science with years of experience and high throughput techniques. SSPI is conducting research on pharmaceutical crystallization engineering, polymorph screening, salt screening, co-crystal screening, chiral resolution, polymorph quantification, converting amorphous material to crystalline solid, chemical and crystallization process modeling. SSPI is working with a large number of pharmaceutical companies across the globe to help them fully understand the solid state and crystallization of their drug candidates.
About Halifax, Nova Scotia
Halifax is one of the most beautiful and historic Canadian cities. Located on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean, there are numerous parks, campsites, trails and rivers around the city for outdoor activities. City life is also superb. With a population of more than 400,000, Halifax is home to many cultural attractions, museums, art galleries, pubs and clubs. The city hosts three major universities and many community colleges. The beautiful Annapolis valley, which is home to the highest tides in the world, and also mountainous Cape Breton, are within a few hours of drive from Halifax. Halifax has one of the mildest winters in Canada as well as one of the most pleasant summers, which you can enjoy on the beautiful water front boardwalk.
The “Director – Technical” position is a key contributor to the company reporting to Vice president or the President. The “Director – Technical” will contribute through leading, managing and mentoring the technical team in: designing and conducting solid form screening experiments, characterizing the resulting materials, designing and performing crystallization process development for active pharmaceutical ingredients and natural products by utilizing crystallization engineering knowledge and hands on experience.
Manage Scientific Staff
- Assisting in the development and communication of company goals and strategy.
- Acting as an expert by providing sound technical expertise to the technical staff.
- Reviewing the technical weekly reports and final reports.
- Mentoring technical staff and motivating the team.
- Identifying and recruiting talented scientists for the company.
- Performance management and career development.
- Championing the technologies upgrade.
- Working with scientists to maintain standards for all laboratory records, internal reports, and external communications.
- Identifying and implementing opportunities to improve workflow performance.
- Serving on the Quality Management System Committee.
- Following the safety rules and housekeeping principles to maintain a clean and safe working environment in the laboratories.
Customer Satisfaction and Business Development
- Attending and/or presenting at weekly teleconferences with clients.
- Providing sound technical expertise to clients.
- Developing technical scope of work.
- About 15% of time for international and domestic travel is expected to meet with clients for face to face project discussions.
- Attending trade shows as technical representative of the company.
- Supporting the business development team technically.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Degree in chemistry, chemical engineering or related field in the areas of crystallization engineering and solid-state science.
- PhD (10+ years of experience) or MSc (13+ years of experience) in the pharmaceutical industry and specifically in crystallization engineering and solid-state science.
- At least 3 years of technical and people management is a must.
- Broad understanding of solid state science and crystallization: polymorph screening, co-crystal screening, salt screening, crystallization engineering, chiral resolution, solid state analytical techniques, crystallization engineering, scale-up, spray drying, Process Analytica Technologies (PAT).
- Excellent leadership, communication and collaboration skills.
- Possess the skills to resolve potential conflicts.
- Laboratory techniques for conducting wet chemistry experiments.
- Knowledge of XRPD, DSC, TGA, STDA, SEM, DVS, NMR, HPLC and particle size analyzer.
- Knowledge of Process Analytical Technologies (PAT). Specifically, FBRM, React-IR and PVM.
- Knowledge of statistical Design of Experiment (DOE).
- Experience with DOE software, e.g. Design Expert is a plus.
- Knowledge of regulatory submission is a plus.
- Ability to use Microsoft office software.
Visa and Relocation
Visa sponsorship and relocation assistance are available.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to talk, hear, see, stand, walk, sit, smell and use hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to pick up ordinary weights.