Alentic Microscience Inc. commercializes its blood diagnostic device for medical settings
March 4, 2019 – Halifax, NS – Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
Cutting-edge ideas in life sciences are reaching the marketplace faster than ever, providing Canadians with less invasive and more effective treatment options that improve patient outcomes. Determined to provide mobile healthcare solutions that give immediate results, Alentic Microscience Inc. has developed a pocket-sized diagnostic device that can generate test results in under five minutes, from any location, using only a drop of blood from a pinprick.
Conceived for medical diagnostics, Alentic’s technology was chosen by the Canadian Space Agency to conduct immunological research in real-time aboard the International Space Station. Alentic is now commercializing its technology to be used in hospitals, clinics, veterinary settings or in the field. The device uses patented technology to analyze a tiny quantity of blood, producing high quality blood test results immediately at patient point-of-care. The device can perform different types of tests rapidly, which will improve patient care, reduce wait times, lower costs and increase healthcare efficiencies.
Today, Andy Fillmore, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Multiculturalism and Member of Parliament for Halifax, on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA), announced $2,992,162 in Government of Canada support to Alentic Microscience Inc. for the project.
This investment builds on commitments made by the Government of Canada and the four Atlantic Provinces to drive economic growth in the region through the Atlantic Growth Strategy, which supports strategic investments that build on the region’s competitive advantages, including its growing innovation ecosystem and skilled workforce.
“In a time of rapid technological change and global interconnectedness, we have an opportunity to leverage our healthcare innovations to achieve even greater impact through advances in life sciences. With commitment and bold action, Atlantic Canada can be a frontrunner for the country, and the world, in providing quality bio-innovations that attract investment and talent, advance our economic prosperity and provide better healthcare to Canadians.”
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for ACOA
“Alentic’s technology is working to transform traditional patient care with shorter wait times for test results. This innovative tool has the potential to improve the lives of thousands of Canadians, particularly those who have health conditions such as heart disease, anemia and immune disorders, for which frequent blood tests are vital to properly manage these illnesses.”
– Andy Fillmore, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Multiculturalism and Member of Parliament for Halifax
“All of us at Alentic Microscience are deeply grateful to ACOA for their enabling financial support. This contribution will allow us to achieve critical research, development and commercialization milestones on our path to selling Alentic’s revolutionary diagnostic devices in Canada and abroad. The money further allows us to grow our superb team as we approach market entry.”
– Alan Fine, CEO, Alentic Microscience Inc.
• Alentic Microscience is receiving a $2,992,162 repayable contribution through ACOA’s Business Development Program (BDP).
• The funding will help create six jobs, including a biological engineer, a software developer and an embedded systems engineer, in addition to maintaining 15 jobs, to help with the planning, detailed design, prototype assembly, testing and clinical trials of new devices.
• Alentic’s technology is fully operational for specific cellular analyses currently used in medical and veterinary settings.
• In collaboration with Honeywell International Inc., Alentic successfully obtained a multi-million dollar contract with the Canadian Space Agency to develop specific diagnostic tests and a device to monitor astronauts’ immune systems in real time, an important task that was previously impossible.
• Alentic Microscience Inc. has been granted ten patents in the United States, one in Canada and one in China, with many more patents in progress.
• The BDP primarily assists Atlantic Canadian entrepreneurs who want to start a business, increase productivity or improve operations.
• The Business Development Program continues to build on the objectives of the Innovation and Skills Plan, a multi-year strategy to create well-paying jobs for the middle class and those working hard to join it.
• Bio-Analyzer: Instant biomedical results from space to Earth
Director, Communications and Outreach
Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
902-426-9417 / 902-830-3839 (cell) email@example.com
Alentic Microscience Inc.
902-407-0827 / 902-440-3825