Immunovaccine is looking for a Research Scientist with a specialty in Immunology to join their team. The Research Scientist will lead the development and execution of laboratory studies to support exploratory preclinical and clinical research; overseeing other projects within the team. With a strong background in Immunology, the Research Scientist analyses, interprets and presents findings internally and externally. There is an expectation that the Research Scientist will take the lead in developing new projects as defined in the company strategic plan. The Research Scientist is a team leader who can effectively coordinate with Research Associates and Assistants in their own group and with other groups; providing mentorship to others in the team. The successful candidate will have excellent global communication and high involvement in preparing technical documentation. The Research Scientist has a good knowledge of laboratory biosafety requirements and a commitment to comply with the company’s Quality Management System (QMS).
We like to set big goals for ourselves and grow every year, we also like to have fun and enjoy regular team events throughout the year.
- Team leader for exploratory research projects
- Oversee animal experiments
- Involved in project development by providing research and creating proposals and method development if needed
- Analysis of patient clinical samples, including isolation of PBMCs and analysis of immune cell phenotype and function using flow cytometry, ELISpot and other assays.
- Efficiently maintain experimental records, analyze data, and prepare technical reports summarizing study results.
- Communicate with clinical sites to conduct on site laboratory training, coordinate sample shipments and retrieve processing information and inventories.
- Ensure documentation of all experiments in lab notebooks following good documentation practices and prepare documentation for subsequent quality checks.
- Develop and follow standard operating procedures, and prepare corresponding reports.
- Assist in the preparation of technical documents, manuscripts and regulatory documents.
- Provide mentorship and knowledge base for team, organize and lead team meetings
- Graduate or postgraduate training in Immunology; PhD or MSc with 5-10 years’ experience in lab management
- Strong experience in tissue culture (primary mouse & human cells and cell lines) required
- A good understanding of safe laboratory practices and biosafety level requirements required
- Animal handling experience required
- Clinical research experience working with human biological samples preferred
- Previous experience in cancer immunotherapy with an expertise in immunological assays including flow cytometry and cell function assays an asset
- Knowledge of QMS systems and guidelines an asset
- Project Management experience an asset
The ideal Candidate will possess:
- Excellent organization skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Excellent communication, must be able to effectively work with all levels of employees as well as external vendors and laboratories with professionalism
- Excellent writing skills; ability to write study plans, reports, technical documents and standard operating procedures.
- Detail orientated and the ability to work independently and with a team under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work with a high degree of accuracy. Works well under pressure.
- Effective trouble-shooting skills and a commitment to quality assurance.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to changing work plans, schedules and deadlines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access), Winlist 3D, GraphPad Prism.
Our Head office is on Summer Street in Halifax. Hours will be primarily 9 am – 5 pm Monday through Friday but as the role grows, there may periodically be some tasks that are required outside of these hours. You will work in an office environment at a desk. Occasional travel is expected for this position; inclusive of professional development opportunities, less than 10%.
Salary and Benefits:
This will be a salaried position. Please indicate clearly on your application your desired salary for this role.
Compensation will be determined based upon skill set and experience of the selected candidate. Immunovaccine offers paid vacation, health/ dental plan, employee assistance program, stock options, annual bonuses and cost of living increases to eligible employees.
If you feel that you are the best candidate for this position, please apply through the “Apply Now” button.
Please clearly indicate in your application how you meet the requirements for this role, if you are legally entitled to work in Canada, and why you think you would be the best candidate for the role. There will be a small testing requirement as part of the interview process.
Applications will be considered immediately upon receipt until the position has been filled with interviews anticipated to take place towards the end of May.
*We appreciate your application but only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. We reserve the right to request interview candidates to complete skill/ behavior based assessments as part of the interview process.
** The successful candidate will be required to provide a Criminal Record Check before their start date.