Research Assistant – Molecular Biology
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Immunovaccine is looking for a Research Assistant – Molecular Biology to join their team to provide technical support for the Translational and Clinical Immunology Research Teams. This position entails performing assays following standard operating procedures (SOPs), method development, summarizing and reporting results. Necessary lab skills include molecular biology techniques including RT-PCR, mRNA expression analysis and cloning are essential. Expertise in cell culture, flow cytometry and/or animal handling experience an asset but not required.
We like to set big goals for ourselves and grow every year, we also like to have fun and enjoy regular team events throughout the year.
- Execute assays following standard operating procedures (SOPs). Standard assays include: mRNA isolation and analysis, nucleic acid handling, PCR
- Maintain record keeping in lab note book
- Draft and edit reports, summary documents and SOPs
- Conduct and record experimental assays with accuracy, integrity and quality
- Ability to engage in a dynamic work environment by demonstrating flexibility and effective communication
- Demonstrated time management and organizational aptitude
- Completion of a post-secondary degree in Molecular Biology or a related field is required. Lab experience through an honors program would be desirable.
- Entry level accepted.
- Demonstrable ability to perform molecular biology techniques:
- RNA and DNA isolation from mammalian cells and tissues
- PCR (RT-PCR, quantitative PCR, end point PCR)
- Gel electrophoresis
- Cloning (restriction digestions, ligations, transformations, preparation of competent cells, recombinant plasmid isolations and analysis)
- Basic laboratory skills such as pipetting, working in sterile environment • Proficiency in Microsoft applications, such as Word and Excel, and/or GraphPad • Strong written and verbal communication skills. • Ability to work as part of a team and independently with a positive attitude
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to changing work plans, schedules and deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to take direction and prioritize workload with particular attention to detail
- High standards for performed work and a strong work ethic.
- Positive attitude with good verbal and interpersonal communication skills, excellent judgment, and multitasking skills who can work well in a dynamic environment
- A Master’s degree with demonstrated molecular biology techniques would be preferred.
- 2- 3 years experience in a similar role preferred
- Experience in a biotechnology setting
- Basic knowledge of bioinformatics and statistics
- General understanding of BLAST, Clustal, GEO
- Experience working with mammalian cell cultures, transfections, infections.
- Experience handling large sample sets
- Familiarity with next generation methods: RNAseq, Nanostring, TCR analysis.
- Basic understanding of quality systems
- Effective trouble-shooting skills
- Expertise in handling viral pathogens
- Expertise or training in immunological laboratory methods
You will work on Summer Street in Halifax. Hours will be primarily 9 am – 5 pm Monday through Friday but as the role grows, there may periodically be some tasks that are required outside of these hours (around 10%). You will work primarily in a laboratory environment, occasionally spending time at a desk.
You will report to a member of the Clinical Immunology team.
Salary and Benefits:
This will be a salaried position.
The salary range for this position is $32,000 – $42,000 per annum. Compensation will be determined based upon skill set and experience of the selected candidate. Immunovaccine offers paid vacation, excellent health/ dental plan, employee assistance program, stock options, annual bonuses and cost of living increases to eligible employees.
If you feel that you are the best candidate for this position, please apply through the “Apply Now” button.
Please clearly indicate in your application how you meet the requirements for this role and why you think you would be the best candidate for the role.
Closing date: Monday March 27th, 2017
It is company policy to promote from within wherever possible. Therefore, please be aware that internal candidates will be considered first before reviewing external applicants.
*We appreciate your application but only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. We reserve the right to request interview candidates to complete skill/ behavior based assessments as part of the interview process.
**Applications will only be accepted thru the method outlined above.
*** The successful candidate will be required to provide a Criminal Record Check before their start date.