Alentic Microscience Inc.
Located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Alentic Microscience Inc. (Alentic) is seeking a Senior Developer, Machine Vision & Learning
Alentic is developing a revolutionary new approach to medical diagnostics.
Our proprietary technologies are set to change medical diagnostics, making best-in-field capabilities available and affordable to anyone, anywhere in the world.
The Senior Developer, Machine Vision Learning (Senior Developer) works with scientists, engineers and other technical team members to advance the design of an embedded system which applies machine learning and computer vision to in-vitro diagnostics. This position will include responsibility for development team oversight and mentorship of junior developers as the team grows. The Senior Developer is responsible for designing fully functioning, debugged code with required documentation that meets development goals.
- Work with scientists and other technical team members to solve challenging, multidisciplinary problems
- Cross-validate hyper-parameters of neural network models on image data on a graphics processing unit GPU
- Implement efficient image processing pipelines
- Design, code, and test major features in collaboration with Team Members, Design Engineers, Documentation Specialists, Application Scientists, and other members of the development and technical team to deliver complex changes.
- Provide leadership for the development team.
- Maintain and modify existing applications.
- Provide design documents and documentation to ensure efficient maintenance and code reuse.
- Ensure the functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, realistic implementation schedules and system architecture for each assignment.
- Interact with key partners and internal users regarding timelines, technical issues, and infrastructure integration.
- Mentor and supervise junior developers.
- Provide recommendations for improvements in the overall development process.
- Implement software modules, on the embedded platform and analysis workstation.
- Ensure work progress to schedule and keep (internal) customers informed of the project’s progress.
- Stay current with trends, techniques, technology and other factors impacting the job.
- Actively participate in team meetings and offer recommendations /ideas on design projects.
- Non-trivial exposure to machine learning and/or computer vision.
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s or Ph.D. in Computer Science or equivalent job experience.
- Interact with scientists to solve challenging, multidisciplinary problems.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as a Developer working with hardware devices in military or medical applications or equivalent products.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a technical software development role.
- Ability to develop and understand and / or experience with Artificial Neural Networks (ANNs) / connectionist systems, ideally when working with image data.
- An understanding of and ideally experience with the implementations of an image processing pipeline (e.g. software, FPGA or other).
- Ability to work in a Linux based environment.
- Strong coder in C and C++.
- Ability to decipher, analyze and amend existing code.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in requirements analysis, design, coding and unit testing of scalable, distributed, fault-tolerant applications.
- Create efficient image processing pipelines
- Cross-validate hyper-parameters of neural network models on image data on a GPU
- Ability to write a Linux kernel driver for an image sensor.
- Create an embedded Linux environment on an ARM board.
- Modify a microcontroller firmware to control sensors and actuators.
- Able to effectively communicate technical concepts to other technical staff members.
- Able to effectively communicate with non-technical members of the organization.
- Demonstrated aptitude for learning new technologies.
- Effective communication skills with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills as well as presentation skills.
- Excellent teamwork and team building skills.
- Able to work well under pressure and meet set deadlines.
- Superior time management skills, multitasking skills, and the ability to prioritize tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to follow through and complete overlapping projects.
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts.
Alentic Microscience Inc. offers highly competitive salary packages, a hugely enjoyable and supportive work environment, and significant career advancement opportunities, in a dynamic, attractive, human-scale urban environment within minutes of magnificent unspoiled seacoasts, lakes and rivers.
Job Type: Full-time
- Machine Learning: 2 years