The Acadian Plant Health™ (APH™) R&D Team in Cornwallis, Nova Scotia is seeking a Term Analytical Chemist with impeccable laboratory technique, a strong background in analytical techniques, and good communication, leadership, and presentation skills. Sound like you? This position provides the opportunity to play a critical role in new product development, demonstrating the biochemical benefits of the use of our products as well as interpreting these results to allow messaging on product expectations and performance.
To be successful, you need to be flexible, self-motivated and able to both work with and lead a team. You will collaborate with the Formulation/Fermentation Manager, and Plant Stress, Bioassay, and Greenhouse Researchers.
The Key Technical Responsibilities:
In a nutshell, this position will be responsible to conceptualize, develop and implement methods for the analysis of various metabolites in raw materials, existing and new products derived from them, and in plants that have been treated with these products.
Ultimately, the Analytical Chemist is responsible for helping to further the knowledge of how APH™ products can help benefit global agriculture to meet the needs of a growing population.
- Coordinate the day to day analytical activities of the team at the Dr. Craigie Research Center.
- Collaborate with various members of the Acadian Plant Health™ team to identify various metabolites of interest in raw materials, commercial products, and treated plants.
- Undertake literature and information reviews to conceptualize how these compounds can be isolated, detected, and quantified in an analytical laboratory.
- Based on this, work with the Research Analyst to develop, implement, and validate appropriate methods for analysis, using techniques such as solid phase extraction (SPE), liquid and gas chromatography (GC and HPLC), and enzyme assays.
- Document and maintain the various methods of analysis in Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Maintain existing analytical equipment in working order and manage repairs and preventative maintenance schedules.
- Identify and recommend new laboratory equipment to improve the analytical capabilities of the Acadian Plant Health™ division and establish our position as a leader in the biostimulant industry.
- Assist the Fundamental and Commercial Research Teams conducting bioassays, greenhouse and field studies to evaluate the performance of existing and new products and their bioactive fractions.
- Maintain a good understanding of current scientific knowledge regarding the efficacy and modes of action of biostimulants in agriculture and other related scientific areas through scientific literature, discussions with colleagues, networking and attending conferences.
- Communicate in a timely fashion, analytical information to appropriate individuals in APH™ research and development, manufacturing, purchasing, and other departments.
- Ensure the maintenance and/or adherence to good laboratory practices and all safety regulations in and out of the laboratory areas.
- Provide input and suggestions and conduct research based on academic knowledge, experience and networking for other science & technology projects that may be assigned or under the direction of the Vice President, Research and Development, APH™.
- Support the company’s vision and policies regarding Health & Safety, Corporate Culture, and Environmental Management by displaying the appropriate behaviours and leadership towards meeting the company’s objectives in these areas.
- A post-secondary degree in Food Science, Biochemistry, Chemistry, or Agricultural Science, preferably at the Masters level (prior experience may be considered).
- Experience in natural products chemistry, liquid chromatography and sample fractionation, mass spectrometry, industrial fermentation, enzyme technology, plant stress physiology and knowledge of clean lab techniques would be a strong asset.
- Strong laboratory skills, especially in analytical techniques, are essential, as is the ability to interpret scientific information and communicate the results to others.
- Sound technical, organizational and communication skills are required. Self-motivation, independent thinking and the ability to accept additional responsibilities are important.
- Good communication, reporting and presentation skills are required.
- Computer skills including data entry, statistical analysis, word processing, spreadsheets and presentations are required.
- Must be flexible, adaptable and able to lead teams as well as work with others and as a member of a team.
If this job sounds like it was made for you, we’d like to meet you. To further explore this opportunity, just submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional information about an Atlantic Canadian company that has built a worldwide business in highly specialized and innovative sectors, please visit our new website at www.acadianseaplants.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.