Do people say “oh, wow” when you tell them what you do?
Do you want to work for a company with engaged and passionate employees who lean in everyday?
Now, imagine working for a company where you can positively impact the health and growth of all living things while protecting the environment.
That’s what the employees of Acadian Seaplants are proud to do each and every day.
For fourteen consecutive years, Acadian Seaplants Limited has secured the designation as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies! In fact, Acadian Seaplants has achieved Platinum Status for eight years running!
We are currently seeking a Vice President, R&D Human and Animal Wellness based in Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.
Why Acadian Seaplants Limited?
… People work here because they like it here!
- Acadian Seaplants Limited is a world leader in providing value-added marine plant-based products serving agricultural and food markets in over 80 countries worldwide.
- Acadian Seaplants has received government and industry recognition for its innovation and achievements in technology, environmental affairs, management, business ethics, safety and export excellence.
- Acadian Seaplants provides training and career advancement opportunities, and fosters a dynamic environment of teamwork and collaboration.
- Acadian Seaplants offers a variety of group benefits that ensure the health, wellness and safety of its employees.
The VP, R&D is a senior science role in the Human & Animal Wellness (Hu&A) Division of ASL. This leadership role provides solid leadership and strategic direction to the science and technology activities for ASD (Animal Science Division), FSD (Food Science Division), SID (Special Ingredient Division), the Resource Management group and Plant Health Processing Technology group. The VP, R&D provides solid hands on leadership and sound strategic direction to the science and technology teams with the goal to develop viable business applications from Hu & A research endeavours for existing and new product marketability. The role assures ASL practices the proper scientific approach to assist in securing and sustainably managing the seaweed resource globally.
This role requires the right combination and focus on leadership, science and business acumen. In consultation with the SVP Hu&A, the VP, R&D is tasked to create and execute new scientific direction for this division, and maintaining contact with the scientific community, provincially, nationally and internationally.
- Lead Resource Science, scientific activity and technology for Animal Science, Food Science, Specialty Ingredients and Resource Management
- In consultation with SVP Hu&A, develop, execute and deliver upon strategic business priorities relating to the science and research of his/her team. Identify, establish and execute a clear, strategic direction and focus for this Hu&A group.
- Investigate, research and recommend new product opportunities to the SVP which are synergistic with the company’s existing operations.
- Utilizing sound research experience and practices, assess and/or develop new product applications in the areas of Human and Animal Wellness.
- Apply scientific and technical knowledge to develop opportunities and resolve issues pertaining to productivity, quality and customer issues.
- Work with the Director, Corporate and Government Relations to identify and secure government research funding (provincial, federal and international) to advance Hu&A and Resource Management’s strategic R&D Programs.
- Lead scientists to produce marketable information.
- Maintain company’s position in the forefront of science-related activities.
- Environmental Management and the Progressive Excellence Program by displaying the appropriate behaviours and leadership towards meeting the company’s objectives in these areas.
- PhD in Plant Science or Animal Science or a related field of study is mandatory
- 15+ years of demonstrated skills in the commercialization of science-related information
- Minimum 20 years’ experience in Research and Development in a related field
- Must have significant experience building and leveraging a diverse Research and Development team
- Minimum 15+ years in a senior management capacity
- Innovative, creative and results-driven leader
- Ability to plan and manage at both the strategic and operational levels
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and staff to create a results-driven, team oriented environment
- Effective public speaking skills and presence
Note: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties that may be required to be performed. You will be required to follow any additional instructions deemed appropriate by your reporting Manager.
If this sounds like the next exciting and lasting chapter in your career, we encourage you to further explore this opportunity by submitting your application online at iflinn@Acadian.ca
For additional information about an Atlantic Canadian company that has built a worldwide business in a highly specialized and innovative sector, please visit our website at www.acadianseaplants.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.