BioNova has recently launched the new workshop series ‘Communications Lab’ where communications training is provided from industry experts aimed at entrepreneurs. In our most recent workshop titled ‘Storytelling & Key Message Development’ hosted by Communications Professional, Jennifer Cameron, attendees learned about the value of creating key messages. Below are five ways to better tell your key messages to the media, potential investors, customers or new clients and reach your business goals faster.
1. Your Key Messages Must be Relevant: Relevant messages are engaging because they connect with what’s happening culturally and within the industry. To find out what’s going on in the industry follow your business competitors and colleagues on social media or subscribe to newsletters from your industry association. To follow what’s happening culturally check your daily newsfeed and watch for trends in the local media or on Twitter.
2. Use Fewer Numbers to Tell Your Story: If you’re trying to tell your business story to the public and you’re using too many numbers and statistics your key message will not resonate. Try to limit the amount of numbers you use in your key message and use numbers that are easy to remember, for instance instead of saying 8,124 say more than 8,000.
3. Appeal to Emotion: People always remember how they felt long after they have forgotten the facts. If you can talk about your product or service in a human way that connects with your audience you will be much more memorable. Think about what problem your product or service solves for the end user or what need it fulfills.
4. Be Willing to Adapt: As circumstances change you will need to update your messages, but make sure the new message still reinforces your overarching narrative. You will need different messages depending on whether you are making a public presentation or talking to a room of experts. Experts may expect more evidence and technical arguments. Give it to them, but still with a clear, simple, consistent approach.
5. Live, Eat & Breathe Your Key Messages: Tie your key messages into every project, presentation or issue that you are involved in. You have to repeat it time and time again to make it memorable.
If you want to change the way people see your company and grab their attention, join us for our next BioNova Communications Lab. Contact us at email@example.com or follow us on Twitter @NSLifeSciences